Friday, June 15, 2012

Hopeful Planning

Spring cleaning. Who thought of that idea? I've read that its origins go back to preparation for various cultures' new years. From the Persian's "house-shaking" to the Jews readying for the Passover, everyone cleans up from top to bottom. It's a lovely thought, really. I wish I had pictures as examples of what it means to me and our home. Unfortunately, the hoardy-hole is still pretty much as full as ever.

There is hope, however.
My mom did not get either of the jobs I previously mentioned that she interviewed for. We were kind of disappointed about one of them in particular- the interview went great, good rapport with the employer, and some good benefits- but it just didn't work out. Since then, my mom has applied and twice interviewed for another position. It's not exactly her first pick, but she feels fairly confident about it. We shall see how it works out. If it doesn't pan out, there's more out there where that came from.

We are also hopeful about having the help of a crew getting a large amount of stuff cleared out of the basement. I believe some people have offered to pitch in. So I'll provide some masks if you can provide the muscle! I say that not because of some unbearable stench, but because of the water damage. The ventilation duct work isn't sealed properly or something. This has caused the condensation to wreak havoc on the ceiling. The kitchen looks like the ceiling is about to fall in. Of course, before we can remove all of the damaged drywall and make repairs, we have to clear out the space. If we can get a crew to lend a hand, I'm planning on taking a couple of days off from work to join in.

It would be So great to have the downstairs clean! The space used to be rented out as an apartment. With my mom's current financial status being in a sort of limbo, it would be good to have that as an option again. And growing up, I always imagined I'd eventually have the space for myself. I'm trying to make some plans for my own future endeavors, and it would be nice to be able to have that space open and usable to possibly rent myself. As it is now, my mother and I butt heads more often than is preferred. We share a large space with each other, we just also happen to begrudgingly share it with a whole lot of stuff.

Alas, hope springs eternal. The local Catholic church is taking donations this weekend for their annual yard sale. We used to enjoy the shopping, but hopefully this year we can enjoy purging for our benefit and theirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment