Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Money Saved Money Earned

It's been a few weeks since the last post. I wish I had pictures of clean rooms to share, but that post is still a ways off. I have been rather preoccupied with school work the past few weeks, so I've been obligated to spend free time with my studies. Not much has been cleaned out, but not much has come in either. So, let's keep a positive spin on this, shall we? I mean, this house has seen many an overflowing Easter basket, but no so much this year. Calling out progress where I see it. :)

I previously mentioned that my mom is not employed, but that she is actively job hunting. Well, she has had two job interviews in the last two and a half weeks! She was pretty nervous in the first interview. I don't think it went as well as she would have liked, but it was very good to get back out there. A few days after that interview, she got a call about another position she had applied for. The first place she interviewed didn't work out. We're still hopeful about this second place though. They say not to count your chickens before they hatch. Well, we don't have any chickens. (We've spotted rabbits, mice, a toad, a lizard, and a snake!, but no chickens.) That hasn't stopped me from dreaming about the basement being finished and having a big swimming pool in the back yard and inviting all our friends out to celebrate. Unfortunately, as soon as I wake up from that dream I remember that we're still at the beginning of this project and that party will have to wait. But ya gotta keep the dream alive, right? The people perish for lack of vision, so I'll hold on to that sight in my mind so we don't fizzle out.

In more productive news, my mom learned how to ride a Deere! My dad always used the tractor to mow the lawn. Since he's not here, my mom has hired someone else to do it. A friend of ours did the job last summer. He does good work- and it's a Lot of grass to cut. It just didn't seem fiscally responsible to spend the necessary money to have it done, especially since we have the equipment here. Cue my helpful uncle, once again. He came over and helped get the mower back up to snuff. He also gave my mom and I a little driving lesson.
(Later that same day, we got a little more excitement. When he and my aunt were about to leave, the phone rang. My aunt called us from outside, shrieking that my uncle was fighting off a snake! "He's Huge!" she yelped. Well, my uncle eventually slayed the not-so-fierce dragon and they went on their way, unscathed.)

Who needs a weed whacker?!
I think she's having fun.












The grass finally got cut this weekend. My dad came over and got the job off to a good start. Before I knew it, he was showing my mom a couple of things on the tractor and I was running off to get a picture of her cruising right along-blade going and all! We lost a floor mat from the sidewalk and a tarp during her first endeavor, but we'll consider the casualties an acceptable loss for the day's accomplishment. So, while my mom doesn't yet have a paycheck coming in, she's cutting back on what's going out, and really praying that a good job opens up soon.
I think things are moving in the right direction. 

This is Lemmy under a mat on the sidewalk.
No Lemmys were harmed in the
 lawn mowing of April 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment